Subsidiary: T&H Services
Job Title: HVAC Machinery Maintenance Mechanic
Job Location: Charleston, SC
Labor Category: Non-Exempt | CBA-IUOE
Clearance Requirement: Secret
Travel Requirement: N/A
Tlingit Haida Tribal Business Corporation (THTBC) is a family of 8(a), HUBZone, SDB, and other companies wholly- owned by the largest tribe in Alaska. Each of its wholly- owned 30+ subsidiaries are uniquely qualified to deliver value to its customers and teaming partners. For over 30 years, THTBC has operated as a trusted US Federal contractor throughout the US and worldwide. THTBC delivers outstanding service with innovative, low-cost contract solutions to all its public and private sector customers worldwide.
Scope of Work:
The Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Machinery Maintenance Mechanic installs, services, and repairs environmental-control systems utilizing the knowledge of refrigeration theory at the Naval Information Warfare Center.
- Pipefitting and structural layout.
- Mounts compressor and condenser units on platform or floor using hand tools.
- Follows blueprints or engineering specifications.
- Fabricates, assembles, and installs ductwork and chassis parts.
- Uses portable metalworking tools and welding equipment.
- Installs evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system using hand tools.
- Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools. Cuts and threads pipe, using machine threading or hand-threading equipment. Joins tubing or pipes to various refrigeration units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solder joints using a torch.
- Forms complete circuit for refrigerant, installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit.
- Connects motors, compressor, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source.
- Installs air and water filters in completed installation.
- Injects small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and adds Freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
- Observes pressure and vacuum gauges and adjust controls to insure proper operation.
- Test joints and connections for gas leaks using gauges or soap- and-water solution.
- Wraps pipe in insulation batting and secures them in place with cement or wire bands.
- Replaces defective breaker controls, thermostat, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
- May install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty (20) tons cooling capacity in warehouse and small factory buildings.
- Performs minor painting chores consistent with preventive maintenance functions and minor repairs.
- Performs minor preventive maintenance functions which include, but are not limited to: Changing filters; cleaning cooling towers, heating and cooling coils; cleaning floor drains, grease traps, roof gutters, downspouts; and changing fluorescent tubes and other light bulbs where needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be vaccinated in accordance with all Executive Orders, Government mandates or requirements, contractual requirements and company policy
- Must be Universal CFC certified.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of EMS, to make operational changes to remote HVAC equipment throughout the facilities.
- Must have a thorough and advanced knowledge of every cycle and its components; such as electronic circuitry, high and low voltage electricity, pneumatic and electronic control systems that sense minute changes in temperature and humidity, dew points, air water and refrigerant pressures; air and water flow and overload protection, adjust temperatures, damper position, space changes, etc.
- Has responsibility of being available on twenty-four (24) hour call to facilitate emergency repairs to equipment that is critical to operations.
- Must have skill and technical ability to interpret so as to complete installations and repairs as required and must be able to apply advanced trade techniques to modify and execute in order to minimize equipment down-time. This is done in most cases without benefit of direct supervision.
- Must have a working knowledge of other trades such as: Sheet metal; fire dampers, zone control, air flow volume and velocity and damper linkages; plumbing; water and steam supply, drainage, gravity systems, condensate, water make up evaporation and human protection systems. Electric circuit breakers, relays, solenoids, transformers, timers, electromagnetic contactors vacuum tubes, motors and motor controls and overload protection devices.
- Also, must be proficient in all types of soldering and brazing. This work requires the service of a highly skilled and knowledgeable technician with the necessary specialized training in this field.
- Must be well versed in the use of many and varied types of test equipment such as volt-meters, ammeters, amprobes, psychrometers, capacitor analyzer temperature testers, leak detectors, micrometer, CO2 testers, vacuum gauges, meggers and must possess outstanding eye-hand coordination.
- Physical Effort and Working Conditions: In performing the required work, it is required to have the ability to climb ladders and scaffolding, do a lot of walking, use every kind of hand tool, work in hazardous positions, carry heavy tools, (maximum 100 pounds), and knock holes in concrete may be subject to electrical shock, burns and injuries to the eye and lungs from refrigerant gases, quick variations of temperature, exposure to acids and fumes, falls, cuts and bruises from hand tools and by working in cramped quarters.
- Has the ability to work inside and outside in all kinds of weather in various Government buildings.
- Must have knowledge of worksite safety, occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license to operate a company vehicle.
- Must have a safe driving record, as defined by Company policy, to operate a company vehicle.
- Must be able to successfully complete a drug/alcohol test, criminal record check, and motor vehicle check.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a secret clearance.
THTBC offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Hospital Indemnity Plan
- Company paid disability, basic life & AD&D
- Employee paid voluntary life and AD&D for dependents
- 401(k) retirement plan
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all the essential duties of the position satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance, including successfully completing a thorough background investigation.
THTBC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO Information-English Version
EEO Information-Spanish Version
Pay Transparency -English Version
Pay Transparency -Spanish Version
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.